Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Books!


I don't remember very well what book I read first. I guess some book of the school, like Principito or Papelucho. I remember very well that the first book that I like it was a dinosaurs book, full of illustrations. I spend many hours seeing those pictures. After that I remember the poetry of Pablo Neruda, because my parents liked. Then I remember some good books like Dracula by Bram Stoker, La granja de los animales by George Orwell, Hamlet and Macbeth by Shakespeare, and things like that.
All clasic books. Some of these book really liked, but nothing beyond. Later I discover the poetry of Alejandra Pizarnik, Sarah Kane, Oliverio Girondo, William Blake, Pablo de Rokha, Rimbaud, Heiner Muller, and I was really facinated with them. In these days I read a book called "La Edad de Hierro", from J.M.Coetzee and I was very impressed, I never read something like that. From these moment I had a real connection with literature and begin my obsession with books. I started reading all the literature of Coetzee; "Infancia", "Juventud", "Desgracia", "Esperando a los Barbaros", "En Medio de Ninguna Parte", "K", "Elizabeth Costello", etc. All great books. But, one day, I knew the best of all, Charles Bukowski. Long ago I hear things from him, and get to read a couple of novels, but nothing very interesting until I read his poetry. That day something change. His writing without rhetoric and directly to the bone blew my brain out. After that I read almost all his books, poetry and novels, and I can say with certainty that it is the best ever, but I know; he is not for everyone. He is a drunk, pervert and evil man. At least that's his mask, but in the background he was one of the noblest men. Anyway, my favourite books are "The love is adog from hell", "Adelante" "Escrutaba la locura en busca de la palabra, el verso, la ruta", "El Capitan salio a comer y los marineros se tomaron el barco", "The Fuck Machine", "Factotum", "Womans", and many more.(As there are some bad, like "Musica de Cañerias")

In the last time I read more clasic authors like Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, James Joyce, Dos Pasos, John Fante, Thomas Wolfe, Jack Kerouac, etc. Books like "Al otro lado del Rio", "El Santuario", "Preguntale al Polvo", "Retrato de un Artista Adolecente", "Paris era una Fiesta", etc. Some of they great books, and others very boring. I think that Faulkner is more my style.

Anyway, There is another great range of books that I really love and I collect with passion, the American and European graphic novels. Authors like Robert Crumb, Edmond Baudoin, Jason, Chris Ware, Craig Thompsom, Tanit, Harvey Pekar, Johnny Ryan, etc. All great writers and genious. I don`t know, but in the last time the literature fills me more than the movies. And that is dangerous!

PD; I think that I forget many books and authors that I really liked, like Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh, The last temptation by Nikos Kazantzakis, one of my current favorites; Andres Caicedo and his book "¡Viva la musica!"

3 comments:

  1. everyone starts with papelucho jajaj

    i've always wanted to read to Joyce, but somehow, for different reason, i've never read it.

    ReplyDelete